Sunday, April 14, 2013

Recipe: Cauliflower Crust Pizza

Cauliflower Crust Pizza


So I was going over one of my favorite websites, Pinterest.com, and was in search of some new, healthy recipes to try. I came across a ton of postings on Cauliflower Pizza Crust. "I might just be weird enough to try that!" Next thing I knew, I was grating cauliflower! 
It was hard to pick which recipe to go by... they're all slightly different! I ended up just picking one with an appetizing photo and altered the recipe a bit from there. I was a bit nervous about how it would turn out. However, when I checked on the crust in the oven, it looked so amazing that I couldn't wait to get my toppings on there and give it the good 'ol taste test. 
Now, one of the post-op side effects is that your taste in things may change. I haven't noticed a huge difference (I'm okay with tuna now whereas I used to hate it), but I have noticed a change in my sense of smell. The first few weeks after surgery, EVERYTHING (and I do mean everything) smelled strongly of garlic to me. During the Super Bowl, my friend had a table full of crock pots with different recipes and dips for the gang. I had a few of my own dishes to add as well. The combination of everything just made me want to vomit (I still managed to eat some pretty amazing chips and dip anyway). I was the only one who thought it smelled bad. When I made this cauliflower crust pizza, I thought it smelled like rotting trash. It was so bad that I almost didn't eat the food. No one else noticed a smell, so it's hard to say what actually smells good/bad and what's just me. 
Now that I have your mouths watering (LOL, sorry).....
When the pizza was done, it tasted SO amazing! My dad had just eaten dinner, so he said he was only going to try a bite. After a couple minutes of eating the pizza directly off the cookie sheet, he finally loaded it up on a plate to 'share' with mom (which never happened... he ate the whole thing!). We are a house full of picky eaters, so when someone disappears with the food and hogs it to themselves, you know it's got to be good!
I always hate when food bloggers type forever and ever about their food, making you wonder, "where the hell is the recipe!?" Well, now I'm guilty. So, without further a-do... adu?.... my version of the recipe:

Ingredients:                                                                           Serves: abt. 6**
2 cups cauliflower (grated or riced)*
2 cups part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
2 eggs (you can get away with one if you prefer)
Basil
Rol-Tel tomatoes (drained)
Newman's Own Marinera Sauce
Choice of Toppings

*Grate or rice two cups of cauliflower (uncooked). I find if you use frozen (thawed) cauliflower florets, it's easier to squish it through a ricer. Using a fresh head of cauliflower, use a grater (this is my preferred method).

Throw that cauliflower in a bowl with eggs and mozzarella cheese. Add a few dashes of basil. Mix together thoroughly (hands always work the best, so give your kids a call because this part is nasty!)

Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Grab a handful of the cauliflower mix and compact it well in your hands. Place the ball of cauliflower on the cookie sheet and flatten into a patty (about 1/2 inch thick). Continue with rest of mix until you have multiple, individual pizzas. (makes about 6)

Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Pull the cauliflower crusts out and spoon a very small amount of the marinera sauce on each crust. Sauce isn't a dieters best friend. We are only using a small amount to help 'glue' the toppings on. After applying a thin layer, add a spoonful or two of the Rol-Tel tomatoes (juice drained). This makes up for the small amount of sauce.

Top with additional choice of toppings. Choice of cheese, veggies, etc.

Pop it back in the oven for just a couple minutes (long enough for the cheese on top to melt).

Serve, enjoy, and give yourself a pat on the back for eating a healthy, yet tasty, alternative!

**This makes about 6 patties. How many it serves really depends on how much who can eat! Us bariatric patients could easily be full off of one (or less) patties. These do freeze and re-bake well later (put each individual pizza in it's own ziplock bag, so they dont stick together, to freeze). (Or place a sheet of wax paper between each in one ziplock bag and lay flat)

This is a great idea for kids who are stubborn about eating vegetables. If they don't grate the cauliflower to know what it is, they'll probably have no problem eating this. I mean, hello, it's pizza... what kid says 'no' to pizza?


**I know, I know... I dont have any pics posted. Like I said, it looked so good that I dove in and totally forgot to get a picture. There are plenty online, but I will get a photo next time and add it to this blog entry!**

No comments:

Post a Comment